Saturday, May 16, 2020

Lillie J Lythgoe writes a quick bio

This scan was taken out of the genealogy books belonging to Shirley Lythgoe, Feb 2012.

TRANSCRIPTION:

"LILLIE JARDINE LYTHGOE

I was born on a stormy winter's night, at nine p.m. of February 14, 1911.  I missed my mother's birthday by three hours.

My Dad was William Jardine, who came to United States from Benlester, Kilbride Island of Arran, Scotland.  My mother was Rosetta Badger, daughter [of] John Chamberlain and Isabell Burt Badger.

We were living on an eighty acre farm called the Christopher place.  The log house had three rooms and a dirt roof.  A stream of water ran near the road and my folks hauled water by bucket for drinking and washing.

Lawrence, my brother was born eighteen months after I was, August 15, 1913.  My father was a sheep man and had herded sheep in Scotland.  He borrowed the money from Uncle Charles Kempton, with a hand shake for security, and bought eight hundred head of sheep.  He paid off the money to Uncle Charles in two years.

My mother was a very good manager, an excellent cook and sewed all our clothes.

I remember being chased by buck lambs, gathering the eggs and hauling wood chips for mother to heat the water to scrub our clothes on a wash board and to heat water to boil the white clothes in a boiler on the stove.

Dad entertained us in the evenings by playing for us on his father's violin.  He and Uncle Roy Badger furnished the music, violin and organ, for dances winter and summer in the old red brick school house.

Mama danced all the Virginia reels and old dances, with her brothers, Uncle Oscar and neighbors.  About midnight a supper was spread and then children put to bed on the benches pushed up against the wall.  Dancing continued all night.  Our young lives were happy and carefree.

Bonita Mae was born May 1, 1915 and Dad decided he needed more room for his sheep so he traded Uncle Roy Badger for the one hundred sixty acre Lee place and gave him cash difference.  This house had five room and mother soon had it looking nice.

My mother was a registered nurse and cared for my father and I when we got the flu and almost died.

I attended eight grades of school in Standrod then went to Acequia for Junior High and stayed with Uncle Roy and Aunt Olive Badger.  I was home Christmas and being homesick never went back.  The next fall I was sent to Yost, Utah for the ninth grade and my tenth was at Sacred Heart Academy in Ogden, Utah then back to Rupert, Idaho for eleventh grade.  I managed to get three years of high school.

I met and married George W. Lythgoe July 3, 1929 in Farmington, Utah.  We built and ran a Shell Service Station in Strevell, Idaho.  Jacqueline was born June 21, 1931 and we moved to Salt Lake and had a coal business.  We had three trucks.  Hartley was born August 28, 1934, then Sandra Lee was born July 22, 1938.

During World War II, I volunteered and trained for Red Cross and Home Nursing and nursed for two years.

We sold out because of George's health and moved to Heber, Utah and bought a five unit motel which we were able later to have twelve more units.  We lived there till January 1, 1955.

Jacqueline married Albert Winterrose and Hartley married Shirley Mahoney.  Hartley then volunteered for army service.  Shirley followed him to Colorado Springs, Colorado and worked in the bank.

Sandra Lee married Bud Sulser.

We sold the motel and bought a four hundred acre ranch in Pleasant Valley, Utah.  We built it up into an excellent ranch and sold it January 1, 1970 and Hartley built us a new home in Center Creek, Utah.

I cooked for the new Wasatch Company Hospital for three years and made all the salad dressings at the Homestead, Midway, Utah, for many years.

Our health has caused George and I to retire.  We enjoy going camping in our campers.

All our three children have been married in the LDS Temple and have raised their children in the LDS church and are all better people for having done so.

We just celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary.

Lillie J. Lythgoe"

No comments:

Post a Comment